WHAT THE ORDER IS
The Order of the Eastern Star is the largest fraternal order to which Master Masons and their female relatives may belong. It is not a religion. However, it requires a belief in the existence of a Supreme Being and encourages LOYALTY to one's own religious beliefs, family, country and community. Today, in Ontario there are approximately 7,400 members in 95 Chapters.
To become a member, men must be affiliated Master Masons in good standing and women must be 18 years or over and possess one of the following relationships to a Master Mason. Also, members of the International Order of the Rainbow for Girls or the International Order of Job's Daughters who have been active for three years and are at least 18 years of age are eligible.
Affiliated Master Masons in good standing and their wives, daughters, legally adopted daughters, mothers, widows, sisters, half sisters, granddaughters, stepmothers, stepdaughters, stepsisters, daughters-in-law, grandmothers, great granddaughters, nieces, mothers-in-law and sisters-in-law.
WHAT THE ORDER DOES
As a fraternal order, the Order of the Eastern Star provides an opportunity for men and women to meet and enjoy social companionship. The Order encourages a philosophy of life based on the virtues of FIDELITY, CONSTANCY, LOYALTY, FAITH, LOVE and CHARITY.
"INTERESTED IN MEMBERSHIP?"
If you are interested in becoming a member of this Order:
Contact: Susan Purdy ; Email ; for more information if required.
The Membership Committee
" CHARITIES "
Worthy Grand Matron's Project
The Worthy Grand Matron's project (her personal choice) is The War Amps
Chapter Selected Charities
Individual Chapters select one or more local charities and raise funds within their communities by appealing to the local population and meeting local needs.
Annual Givings in the range of $300,000.00
" COMMITTEE'S "
Grand Benevolent Fund
The fund is supported by local chapters allows a committee to grant funds to members. This is done in a confidential manner and usually on an emergency basis.
Annual Givings in the range of $40,000.00
Florence Nightingale Home Foundation (“F.N.H.F.”)
This Foundation was incorporated in 1927 as “Florence Nightingale Home” and was changed to Florence Nightingale Home Foundation” in 1985 following the sale of its home for the aged in Agincourt which was maintained by the Order of the Eastern Star. The funds from the sale of the home were carefully invested and the Directors set guidelines for the use of these monies.
Each year accrued interest and all donations received from Eastern Star Chapters and individual members are used to place donations of equipment in selected Hospitals across
Ontario. Individual Chapters submit requests for donations for an accredited Hospital of their choice, along with a letter from the Hospital/Hospital Foundation to the Secretary of F.N.H.F.
Eastern Star Training Awards for Religious Leadership
At the Triennial Assembly of the General Grand Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star held in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in 1952, approval was granted for the establishment of an Eastern Star Training Awards for Religious Leadership program to be known as ESTARL. This program encourages all members of the Order to give enthusiastic and generous support to students who wish to dedicate their lives to a vocation of religious service. Following this initial approval in 1952, ESTARL programs and funds were created in many OES jurisdictions around the world to provide financial assistance to students in this field of study.
The Grand Chapter of Ontario, O.E.S. has strongly supported this program since its inception. Annual awards are made to applicants preparing for leadership in various fields of religious leadership such as Ministers, Missionaries, Directors of Church Music, Directors of Religious Education and Youth Counselors. The number and amount of awards is dependent on the funding available each year. In 2017, twelve awards of $2,000 each were awarded to qualifying applicants.
Do you believe you may qualify for an award?
All students meeting the attached Guidelines for 2019, are encouraged to contact a member of a local Order of the Eastern Star Chapter in Ontario or email a request to Howard McCandless.... for additional information and to obtain a current application form.
ORDER OF THE EASTERN STAR
GUIDELINES FOR 2019 - 2020 ESTARL AWARDS
1. The applicant must be sponsored by a subordinate Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star in Ontario. Original applications forms may be obtained by the sponsoring Chapter from any ESTARL Committee member.
2. The applicant must be in need of financial assistance to help with his or her religious education in the 2020 - 2021 school year. Applicant's total family income should be below the following income guidelines.
Single Applicant $30,000 Applicant with dependent Children $50,000 Applicant with partner $50,000 Applicant with partner and dependent children $60,000
3. The applicant must already be in University or a Theological College
4. The applicant must have completed (10) credits towards a Bachelor of Arts (or its equivalent at a recognized Bible College) by June 1, 2020 and have signed his/her intention to continue in training for religious leadership during 2020 - 2021.
5. Completed application for awards must be submitted to a Chapter of the O,E.S. for their endorsement. The applicant must communicate with a member of the sponsoring Chapter of the OES prior to May 1, 2020 to ensure their application is received by the sponsoring Chapter in time to be approved by that Chapter at their May meeting at the latest.
6. All applications, endorsed by and bearing the seal of the Chapter will forwarded by the Chapter Secretary (by registered mail if necessary) and be in the hands of the Secretary of the ESTARL Committee no later than June 1, 2020.
7. Applications can be made yearly for these awards, but part-time students will be limited to a maximum of five (5) annual awards.
8. The ESTARL Committee will not be expected to act upon applications received from students, who are not residents of Ontario. Applications from students who are residents of Ontario but are continuing studies outside the province, will be evaluated on an individual basis.
All students meeting the attached Guidelines for 2019 - 2020, are encouraged to contact a member of a local Order of the Eastern Star Chapter in Ontario.
AN ORIGINAL APPLICATION MUST BE RETURNED. NO FACSIMILE WILL BE ACCEPTED. THE ESTARL COMMITTEE HAS THE DISCRETIONARY POWER TO VARY THE AFOREMENTIONED GUIDELINES
Click on above to view where presentations will be held
Please click on to View
Click on for Form